Search Advertising Tips
1. Identify and follow the rules of Bing, Yahoo!, and Google search ads before running your campaign as all have slightly different formats.
2. Optimize the URL displayed in your search ad so that it’s relevant to the product or service you are promoting.
3. Include target keywords in your headlines and copy that either match or closely match the keywords you bid on in order to boost the chance that your ad appears for those terms.
4. Write strong calls to action for your search ads that directly state what you want consumers to do. For example “Contact for a Free Estimate” or “Get a 50% Coupon.”
5. When using a click-to-call extension, consider using a tracking number so that you can identify and measure which ads perform the best.
6. Don’t spend precious text ad character count on your business name. It should already be in your optimized URL.
7. Do capitalize the first letter of major words in your ad. Don’t (read “NEVER”) go crazy with all caps.
8. Should you use correct punctuation in text ads? Yes! It just makes good sense.
9. Using trademarks in text ad copy is a no-no unless, of course, you own them. You can, however, bid on terms relevant to your business.
10. DUUA (don’t use unknown abbreviations). While it could pique the interest of a few searchers, why take that chance?